GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Rip my Rabbit. Was a mk5 but I still kept up here because it was the same motor/chassis.

Sucks I'm not going to be able to strip all the parts I had on it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jay745

Sorry to hear Jay, what are you getting next?
I'm all over the place on what to get into next...this is a daily for me. I didn't really like the rabbit I felt it was boring and slow and had none of the comforts to balance that out. Looking at everything from civics, to mini's, older gen wrx, more vw's...

I'm actually going to look at a mk5 Wolfsburg Jetta tomorrow that's super clean. Has a 2.0T, manual trans and some of the comforts the rabbit didn't have. I'm firm at a 6k budget because I don't want another car payment. The Jetta ticks those boxes and could be sporty with a simple stage1 tune. If everything checks out mechanically I'll probably buy it.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm all over the place on what to get into next...this is a daily for me. I didn't really like the rabbit I felt it was boring and slow and had none of the comforts to balance that out. Looking at everything from civics, to mini's, older gen wrx, more vw's...

I'm actually going to look at a mk5 Wolfsburg Jetta tomorrow that's super clean. Has a 2.0T, manual trans and some of the comforts the rabbit didn't have. I'm firm at a 6k budget because I don't want another car payment. The Jetta ticks those boxes and could be sporty with a simple stage1 tune. If everything checks out mechanically...
Life is short go for it, if that's what you want to do. I mean you are a pretty handy guy, if you are willing to work on your cars you can pretty much own anything you want, you don't have to stop at VW. My Son, is planning on driving the Golf save his money and buying a used Cayman in a few years.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Rip my Rabbit.
Sucks I'm not going to be able to strip all the parts I had on it.

I would buy mine back and fix it if that is all that was damaged. I certainly wouldn't let them take the car without me swapping the stock parts back in if it wasn't destroyed. But I have about $6k in upgrades so I would have a pretty strong argument with the insurance company. You own the car until they cut you a check so you can do with it what you will before they appraise it for salvage. That's why you should keep the stock parts. But it really all depends on the damage, how much you like the car and how much money you stand to lose by just letting them total it. Regardless that sucks. Sorry the rabbit is no more.

jay745

Life is short go for it, if that's what you want to do. I mean you are a pretty handy guy, if you are willing to work on your cars you can pretty much own anything you want, you don't have to stop at VW. My Son, is planning on driving the Golf save his money and buying a used Cayman in a few years.
Eh, it's more about practicality. I have a Gti project car that's my money pit. In a few years I'll retire that one. I'm also buying a Cayman for a track car when the Gti is done.
That sucks! Why can you not swap parts out?
I put basically all of my Gti brakes, suspension, sway bars, radio on it. I don't have stock parts to put back on.
Jay, I call dibs on the IE Intake Manifold if you have one.
Don't have that sorry.
I would buy mine back and fix it if that is all that was damaged. I certainly wouldn't let them take the car without me swapping the stock parts back in if it wasn't destroyed. But I have about $6k in upgrades so I would have a pretty strong argument with the insurance company. You own the car until they cut you a check so you can do with it what you will before they appraise it for salvage. That's why you should keep the stock parts. But it really all depends on the damage, how much you like the car and how much money you stand to lose by just letting them total it. Regardless that sucks. Sorry the rabbit is no more.
It's not worth it to me. I never really liked the rabbit anyways, I thought swapping my old Gti parts on it would make it more fun to drive but it was still slow at the end of the day.

I was an insurance adjuster for many years, I know I "can" do whatever I want with it but realistically I'm not interested in sourcing oem parts to swap out. For what id sell everything for I'd maybe break even after factoring in the time and labor to do it all.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Eh, it's more about practicality. I have a Gti project car that's my money pit. In a few years I'll retire that one. I'm also buying a Cayman for a track car when the Gti is done. I put basically all of my Gti brakes, suspension, sway bars, radio on it. I don't have stock parts to put back on. Don't have that sorry. It's not worth it to me. I never really liked the rabbit anyways, I thought swapping my old Gti parts on it would make it more fun to drive but it was still slow at the end of the day.

I was an insurance adjuster for many years, I know I "can" do whatever I want with it but realistically I'm not interested in sourcing oem parts to swap out. For what id sell everything for I'd maybe break even after factoring in the time and labor to do it all.

That makes total sense. I wouldn't mess with suspension or anything labor intensive. For me it would be just the high dollar easily accessible stuff, basically whatever I could swap out in a day. I've never driven the MK5 and I know there was a change of HP somewhere in that platform but the stock MK6 I thought was also very "economy" feeling, especially coming from the TDI. If I hadn't had the donor TDI and the extra $5500 from the buyback to throw at it I likely would have just gone the GTI route. But I was also still pretty bent on the $4500 blown turbo bill I had just paid so NA was looking pretty good.

My buddy just bought a 2009 jetta 2.5L and he loves it.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Back again for a rare update post! Tried to put in an auto-dimming mirror today from an old Audi S4.. Hooked it all up, except it doesn't work :'( Need to fiddle more with the wiring and troubleshoot when I have a bit more time on my hands, but I'm hyped for when it does work!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I did and I am sure he lurks around but I think he is trying to avoid the mod bug as he has young kids and is putting a lot of money into his house currently.
Very mature of him, the 2.5 is the right car then, he won't be burning his kids college funds on mods.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same problem with the small diameter hose for pcv to the IE manifold, and i was sucking in a ton of oil which sucked. Found a kit at pep boys which includes some grommets and ports to make a port in the intake pipe for pcv which so far has been a lot better for me. Think the kit was spectre, all you need to do is drill the hole in the intake pipe, insert grommet, then stuff in the tube for port.