GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
On my way to work today I started having some odd behavior with the transmission, seems like gears were or weren't shifting properly as the car was moving in neutral at one point! By the time i got to work i couldn't shift into any gear with the car on or off. Went out and messed with the level and end links on the trans side enough to get it working, so first thing I did when I got home was to order the sigma 5 kit from dieselgeek to get rid of the plastic mess. Should have it in by the weekend!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Took the Golf into the Dealer this morning to take care of the ABS Recall Notice, they did a an analysis of the ABS Pump and found no faults, only the a software update was done. I know the Tech, I don't want to eat the cost if the part failed down the road but try as I did, they could not find anything to justify updating the ABS Pump.... something about the data being is sent to VW.:mad:

PS. The UM/HEP Intake Manifold made quite a hit when they opened the hood, looks like they never seen one of those before. :burnrubber:

.....Ditched the catch can yesterday. Now that I have the air/oil separator on the valve cover the catch can is no longer needed (I think). I am not concerned about water vapor and the little oil that goes with it getting into the intake tract as these are not direct injection engines. Let it burn. Even with the catch if your running a line in pre-throttle body you get oil on the TB plate and MAP sensor and I have a feeling removing the catch can will make no difference on the amount of oil that ends up there.

Also went back down to a -10AN (5/8") line as all the fittings going to it are -10AN. I had everything at -12AN (3/4") for a while but noticed more oil/water sludge would build up in the line as the air moves through it slower. Never had that happen with the -10AN lines.
Looks promising, and no nasty catch can to empty. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Took the Golf into the Dealer this morning to take care of the ABS Recall Notice, they did a an analysis of the ABS Pump and found no faults, only the a software update was done. I know the Tech, I don't want to eat the cost if the part failed down the road but try as I did, they could not find anything to justify updating the ABS Pump.... something about the data being is sent to VW.:mad:

How does that work with the tune? Are they only updating the ABS module and not reflashing the ECU?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
How does that work with the tune? Are they only updating the ABS module and not reflashing the ECU?
The ABS Module get updated, it doesn't affect the IE Tune Stage2 at all, if it did I woulda notice as soon as I left the Dealer. The biggest surprise was that the Zrickety ESP hack was still operational after the Software Update.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
On my way to work today I started having some odd behavior with the transmission, seems like gears were or weren't shifting properly as the car was moving in neutral at one point! By the time i got to work i couldn't shift into any gear with the car on or off. Went out and messed with the level and end links on the trans side enough to get it working, so first thing I did when I got home was to order the sigma 5 kit from dieselgeek to get rid of the plastic mess. Should have it in by the weekend!
Sounds like a linkage problem if its stiff with the engine off.

You sure there is fluid in the gearbox?

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like a linkage problem if its stiff with the engine off.

You sure there is fluid in the gearbox?

Yeah I'm going with linkage since its fine now. Seems like something was just binding in the linkage.

We'll go with I haven't seen any fluid leaks so I'm assuming there is fluid. I should probably do a fluid flush anyway since im at 75k miles now. Thats for a later date though.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Just bought new Koni Sports and new H&R springs. Had to do new endlinks all around so naturally I went down the rabbit hole. Going to do TTRS mounts all around with new mounting hardware for everything. Going to get my car up on my buddy's lift and see what state the control arms are in as well. Thanks Canada Revenue Agency

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion

Installed the Sigma 5 recently and love it. It is definitely notchier though.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah I'm going with linkage since its fine now. Seems like something was just binding in the linkage.

We'll go with I haven't seen any fluid leaks so I'm assuming there is fluid. I should probably do a fluid flush anyway since im at 75k miles now. Thats for a later date though.
At one point I had used some duct tape to seal up the engine cover, some of it fell onto the shifter linkages, I though the tranny was bad until I found the tape, removed it and spry cleaner with brake cleaner and WD40 to get rid of the sticky goo from the tape, has been great ever since.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah crap. new evolution of the issue happened today. on my way home i heard some pop noise and now i have a clicking type noise when in gear and off the gas, or in neutral while moving. at stop and while accelerating i dont have the noise. not quite sure what it is, and being that its winter and i have to park in the street my options my be limited.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ah crap. new evolution of the issue happened today. on my way home i heard some pop noise and now i have a clicking type noise when in gear and off the gas, or in neutral while moving. at stop and while accelerating i dont have the noise. not quite sure what it is, and being that its winter and i have to park in the street my options my be limited.
Get it checked out by a Indy, the only weakness that I'm aware of on the 5 speed is the rivets on the ring gear shearing off/diff coming apart and cracking the transmission case, FlowMK6 had this problem and Wrote this. In which case the best option is the 6 speed from the older GTI and corresponding axles. On the plus side is the car will be a bit quicker.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Wouldn't that just make noise all the time though? This is only moving forward in gear and off the gas, or in neutral. Car still drives 'fine' and makes no noise under load which makes me think, what would be effected by removing load on the drivetrain?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Wouldn't that just make noise all the time though? This is only moving forward in gear and off the gas, or in neutral. Car still drives 'fine' and makes no noise under load which makes me think, what would be effected by removing load on the drivetrain?
Idk, was only says worst case, but a ticking noise I think would rule out shifter bushings.

Just saying.... if they have to break the case open, I would look for a 02Q.

Last edited:

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Idk, was only says worst case, but a ticking noise I think would rule out shifter bushings.

Just saying.... if they have to break the case open, I would look for a 02Q.

While I do agree with that, we'll have to see whats in the budget. If it was warmer out I'd love to try and tackle a swap myself but i guess we'll see what happens because i dont have that time or space at the moment. If i can make it to a driveway to check it out this weekend I will, if not to the shop it goes.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
While I do agree with that, we'll have to see whats in the budget. If it was warmer out I'd love to try and tackle a swap myself but i guess we'll see what happens because i dont have that time or space at the moment. If i can make it to a driveway to check it out this weekend I will, if not to the shop it goes.
I confirmed with my buddy Andrew who rebuilt a ton of VW transmissions when he was an apprentice that this VW 5 speed tranny has been around for years, they change the number with updates but the architecture remains the same so any VW shop will know it well.