GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I had the same problem with the small diameter hose for pcv to the IE manifold, and i was sucking in a ton of oil which sucked. Found a kit at pep boys which includes some grommets and ports to make a port in the intake pipe for pcv which so far has been a lot better for me. Think the kit was spectre, all you need to do is drill the hole in the intake pipe, insert grommet, then stuff in the tube for port.
Great find Naffy, ...was it this Spectre kit?
https://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=8711

I think the 19 mm (0.74 inches) port would fit but how much vacuum compared to stock?

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I had the same problem with the small diameter hose for pcv to the IE manifold, and i was sucking in a ton of oil which sucked. Found a kit at pep boys which includes some grommets and ports to make a port in the intake pipe for pcv which so far has been a lot better for me. Think the kit was spectre, all you need to do is drill the hole in the intake pipe, insert grommet, then stuff in the tube for port.

Did you add a port to the intake pipe or intake manifold? Were you using the stock PCV?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Did you add a port to the intake pipe or intake manifold? Were you using the stock PCV?
Yup, I salvaged the last 3/4 inch plastic PCV ports off one of the "picked over" intake manifolds I've been experimenting with, used a 3/4 inch step drill bit (cone shaped one) and bored out the 3/8 port in the UM/HEP and JB Welded it in place and added 2 self tapping screws to secure it, so far so good in the cold weather but haven't driven the Golf very much my Son had it, we will see this week if the roads aren't too icy.

OH I just realized you were talking to NAffy.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yup, I salvaged the last 3/4 inch plastic PCV ports off one of the "picked over" intake manifolds I've been experimenting with, used a 3/4 inch step drill bit (cone shaped one) and bored out the 3/8 port in the UM/HEP and JB Welded it in place and added 2 self tapping screws to secure it, so far so good in the cold weather but haven't driven the Golf very much my Son had it, we will see this week if the roads aren't too icy.

OH I just realized you were talking to NAffy.

Ya but I'm interested in where you have gone with the intake as well. So it's hooked up and on the car? I was wondering if Naffy was using the stock valve cover and pulling oil through the stock PCV as I was thinking of giving the stock cover a try with the IE intake but if he was having the same issue with the stock cover it saves me a bunch of time experimenting with it.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya but I'm interested in where you have gone with the intake as well. So it's hooked up and on the car? I was wondering if Naffy was using the stock valve cover and pulling oil through the stock PCV as I was thinking of giving the stock cover a try with the IE intake but if he was having the same issue with the stock cover it saves me a bunch of time experimenting with it.
It's on, .... it's a bit of a pain in the a$$ to put on, as the UM/HEP doesn't have the locating pins like the stock IM, we gotta hold it up while getting in the lower middle fastner in place. I'm using stock gaskets with a bit of RTV, which isn't perfect but I couldn't get new replacements from UM/HEP. Using stock fuel rail, injectors and MAP sensor although the UM/HEP came with it's own.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on the stock valve cover, IE manifold, and a chopped up usp air intake.

I routed from pcv to the usp intake, similar to how the IE intake comes(didn't want to pay another $300 for complete setup)

It is seemingly working fine now.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm on the stock valve cover, IE manifold, and a chopped up usp air intake.

I routed from pcv to the usp intake, similar to how the IE intake comes(didn't want to pay another $300 for complete setup)

It is seemingly working fine now.

Hmm. Interesting that you were pulling lots of oil as well with the IE manifold and stock valve cover.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
It's on, .... it's a bit of a pain in the a$$ to put on, as the UM/HEP doesn't have the locating pins like the stock IM, we gotta hold it up while getting in the lower middle fastner in place. I'm using stock gaskets with a bit of RTV, which isn't perfect but I couldn't get new replacements from UM/HEP. Using stock fuel rail, injectors and MAP sensor although the UM/HEP came with it's own.

Curious if you know how much vacuum is being pulled with your current setup?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Curious if you know how much vacuum is being pulled with your current setup?
Good question, I f888k up there, I had plugged all the vacuum ports prior to install. Normally I can remove and reinstall the stock IM on my own but the UM/HEP requires my Son to help me install it. The UM/HEP is so large and square (cumbersome), we had alot of problems with clearance dry fitting it to test the clearance of the PCV vacuum port that we were making, once installed and the port gaskets didn't fall off; we couldn't bother taking it off again to do sh!t, pain in the a$$, those locating pins on the stock IM are "gold".

EDIT: Barring a vacuum leak, the assumption is it's the same as before as the port size is still 3/4 inches. Maintain close to stock vacuum and flow of vapours by keeping the same sizes to properly operate the stock PCV in the valve cover.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Helped a fellow '10 Golf 2.5 owner change his fuel filter, he was complaining his car was only good after a fuel top up. Not something I relish doing in these cold and snowy climes but after the change he was a lot happier.:thumbsup:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Helped a fellow '10 Golf 2.5 owner change his fuel filter, he was complaining his car was only good after a fuel top up. Not something I relish doing in these cold and snowy climes but after the change he was a lot happier.:thumbsup:

Kudos for being so helpful in the community!

IE is having a sale right now FYI for those interested.. Stage 1 for 350USD. It's not really in my budget right now, and I won't be able to enjoy it in the snow, so I'll wait for a later sale before jumping on the tune, but wanted to point it out for someone with extra tax refund money to burn!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Kudos for being so helpful in the community!

IE is having a sale right now FYI for those interested.. Stage 1 for 350USD. It's not really in my budget right now, and I won't be able to enjoy it in the snow, so I'll wait for a later sale before jumping on the tune, but wanted to point it out for someone with extra tax refund money to burn!
Ready to help you out loading the IE Tune whenever you ready to pull the trigger.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
What's missing from this picture?

Ditched the catch can yesterday. Now that I have the air/oil separator on the valve cover the catch can is no longer needed (I think). I am not concerned about water vapor and the little oil that goes with it getting into the intake tract as these are not direct injection engines. Let it burn. Even with the catch if your running a line in pre-throttle body you get oil on the TB plate and MAP sensor and I have a feeling removing the catch can will make no difference on the amount of oil that ends up there.

Also went back down to a -10AN (5/8") line as all the fittings going to it are -10AN. I had everything at -12AN (3/4") for a while but noticed more oil/water sludge would build up in the line as the air moves through it slower. Never had that happen with the -10AN lines.

Last edited: