GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The MAF will short with the rain we have in NJ. I absolutely disagree. Driving would be fine but sitting 48 hours in torrential downpour is another matter
Is the rain in NJ special or different than what I get 6 hours north?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Whatever you say man. Super smart to run with holes in the engine bay for the electronics. I totally trust VWs rubber seals to keep everything nice and water tight.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Alright here is a shot showing what can be seen standing next tot he drivers side fender...

The yellow mark is where my MAF sits. Not directly under the hole. the blow arrows indicating where the clamps holding my MAF housing in place, for reference .

does it stay 100% dry? no. is it the same as not having a hood? no.

been running this for over a year with no issues. I do park indoors during the winter. have not had any electrical malfunctions related to the hood openings.

unless you have experience with power shorts as a result of vented hood, anything you have said on the matter is speculative.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
unless you have experience with power shorts as a result of vented hood, anything you have said on the matter is speculative.
Of course its 'speculative'

im speculating its a dumb idea to expose electrical components that are not intended to meet with the outside weather on a daily basis for absolutely no benefit other than 'fast nfurious race car look'

lmao

really confidence inspiring

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Of course its 'speculative'

im speculating its a dumb idea to expose electrical components that are not intended to meet with the outside weather on a daily basis for absolutely no benefit other than 'fast nfurious race car look'

lmao

really confidence inspiring
Well the thing doesnt get driven in the winter as this is not my only car. I have a limited parking capacity where I live so it is less of a hassle to park it for the winter. That is what drove that decision.

So as it sits right now you dont have any moisture in your bay when it rains? When you drive through the rain your bay is bone dry? Do you think your car will melt if you drive in the rain?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
And if you truly have a lack of confidence in the seals on the electrical connectors you might as well list your car for sale right now and buy a Tesla

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
So as it sits right now you dont have any moisture in your bay when it rains? When you drive through the rain your bay is bone dry? Do you think your car will melt if you drive in the rain?
Look, you're defensive cuz I don't like your chinesium carbon fiber hood vents, I get it. But you'll just have to learn to live with that I'm afraid.

You can keep up with all the "lol I've been driving indoors like this for 2 yrs and nothing's wrong" but I've driven VWs for 20 years and literally seen multiple cars get fucked up because someone was overzealous washing their engine bay.

You trust VW electrics to be exposed to rain and moisture with two giant holes in the hood? Good for you, I don't.

I actually drive my car all year round and in bad weather.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Vented hoods provide absolutely no benefit? Actually laughed out loud reading that.
They don't on a daily driver. If you want to apply shit that benefits you on your 2 tracks days out the year then yeah vent hoods are great. You might see 2 degrees lower air intake temp

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
no jay you missed the part where the benefit of having a fast-n-furious look was brought to light.
How many track days do you do a year? Pretty sure it's zero

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion