GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Letus

Passed Driver's Ed
How common is this problem and is this problem something I should be concerned about with my Powertrain Limited Warranty about to end? I've already had to have my intake manifold replaced and I'm also in the water pump club as well. My car's production date was 09/05/2011.

I have no idea what the actual failure rate is, but I wasn't willing to risk it, so with 55k on the clock I swapped the tensioner. Glad to have to peace of mind.

88Mike

Here's one for you guys. I started having chain rattle so I parked the car and ordered the parts. A week after I parked the car, I went to move it from my carport to my garage to start the repairs only to have the chain jump time. So close, now soooo far away. This makes me appreciate my Mk4 even more now. Why couldn't VW just stick with a belt?

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
Here's one for you guys. I started having chain rattle so I parked the car and ordered the parts. A week after I parked the car, I went to move it from my carport to my garage to start the repairs only to have the chain jump time. So close, now soooo far away. This makes me appreciate my Mk4 even more now. Why couldn't VW just stick with a belt?

Cause belt by design have far more faults. It's still a small amount off faults on the tensioner after all. The tfsi and 1.8 20vt was known for destroying the belt tensioner and water pumps.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Why couldn't VW just stick with a belt?

LOL

Because belts stretch faster, snap easier, so require more regular replacement, and are generally just a much more dangerous and annoying method.

Trust me, you don't want a belt on an interference engine.

zrickety

The Fixer
BS2H, the dealer will do whatever you want... if you pay for it. They don't do preemptive timing repairs. BMW does them for Mini though.

zxc4

Hi lovely people. Im running here and there reading and looking for a solution for my rattling sound. Can somebody help me as my local VW SC are incompetent as they cant find the problem. My car has been with them for 5 months, after piston replacement.
Somebody please help me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRscBIlV7Tg

GHM73

Ready to race!
Last edited:
Nice article! I'm worried that I should have the need to have my tensioner replaced? Engine is late 2012 build date (2013 GLI).

Anyone have the green cam bridge sealant? I still have oil blow by on & around my cam bridge. Curious to know how to make dealer re-do and use the green sealant.

ndhaliwal

I have 2012 GTI with 31k miles on it. So should I just wait for the warranty period ? Any way to tell what kind of tensioner I have without actually looking through the wheel well ?

Last edited:

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2012 with build date of Dec 2011. I took it in to the dealer and expressed my concern over the tensioner. They pulled the timing cover off and found that my car has the latest revision. Woohoo!

Sonny

spader13

Passed Driver's Ed
My '12 GTI is at the dealership now, waiting on a diagnosis. I was driving home and stopped at a light when it started running rough... like the A/C was on, but twice as hard. Pulled into autozone to get a scan, P0011, P0016, and all the misfire codes. Limped it home and had it towed in. I'm at 59,8XX miles and I hope that if it needs a new engine/head, the dealership won't give me any trouble. 5k oil and filter changes since i bought the car new btw.

barische

Go Kart Champion
My '12 GTI is at the dealership now, waiting on a diagnosis. I was driving home and stopped at a light when it started running rough... like the A/C was on, but twice as hard. Pulled into autozone to get a scan, P0011, P0016, and all the misfire codes. Limped it home and had it towed in. I'm at 59,8XX miles and I hope that if it needs a new engine/head, the dealership won't give me any trouble. 5k oil and filter changes since i bought the car new btw.

Damn, good luck. Mine is parked n waiting for parts to arrive at 83k miles