GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
What difference do the B6 Passat LCAs make? Apparently it's a popular swap, but no one talks about what it actually does for the car.

torga

Autocross Champion
What difference do the B6 Passat LCAs make? Apparently it's a popular swap, but no one talks about what it actually does for the car.
Less unsprung mass, that's it. They don't change geometry whatsoever.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Less unsprung mass, that's it. They don't change geometry whatsoever.
It's very very minimal difference I believe. Maybe like 1 lbs? My understanding is this became a popular mod on the Mk5 platform because they had much heavier control arms. But they were lightened up for the mk6

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
It's saved unsprung weight. I stupidly didn't weigh them when I put them on my car but holding them in your hands you could definitely feel the difference. Cowtown is right though, it was more on the mk5 platform because they had cast arms instead of stamped steel. I do feel like the aluminum arms would provide some rigidity over the stamped steel arms too.

Unsprung weight savings really only matters on cars that see track time though, but everything counts. I've saved weight on the control arms, brakes, and having wheels that are only 16 pounds each, the difference over a stock setup is night and day.

torga

Autocross Champion
It's saved unsprung weight. I stupidly didn't weigh them when I put them on my car but holding them in your hands you could definitely feel the difference. Cowtown is right though, it was more on the mk5 platform because they had cast arms instead of stamped steel. I do feel like the aluminum arms would provide some rigidity over the stamped steel arms too.

Unsprung weight savings really only matters on cars that see track time though, but everything counts. I've saved weight on the control arms, brakes, and having wheels that are only 16 pounds each, the difference over a stock setup is night and day.
I think they might too, purely going by the fact that they were designed for a car that can be up to 700-800 lb heavier than a GTI.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Why do I not get text alerts/notifications through BT on my stock head unit? Somebody messages me and it’s like in silent mode, user error?

BjxGTI

Ready to race!
Anyone knows how to replace the cigarette lighter o our car?

I noticed that everytime I plug it in, it blows the fuse so I dont think its the fuse.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone knows how to replace the cigarette lighter o our car?

I noticed that everytime I plug it in, it blows the fuse so I dont think its the fuse.
Replacing the socket is really easy though. Just look up the instructions for one of the double apex buttons and it will show you how to get at the socket and remove it.

BjxGTI

Ready to race!
Yea probably not the socket either. Pics of this fuse blower?

Its no.42 that keep blowing, what do you mean by fuse blower?

is there a penny in there?

Nope, I triple check!

Replacing the socket is really easy though. Just look up the instructions for one of the double apex buttons and it will show you how to get at the socket and remove it.

Thanks ! I'll look it up!

I really have no idea what's going on now other than a bad socket, if anyone has any more ideas feel free to chime in!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Its no.42 that keep blowing, what do you mean by fuse blower?

Nope, I triple check!
Thanks ! I'll look it up!
I really have no idea what's going on now other than a bad socket, if anyone has any more ideas feel free to chime in!

Does it just blow when you put a new fuse in and turn the key on? Or what are you putting in it that makes the fuse blow? Some of the cheap ass phone chargers will short it out