GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
It just sounds more refined with natural engine noise.

Awesome, I have to get under the wiper blades for another job anyway, I guess I'll just yank the whole thing when I get in there.

Frankly I'm astounded you haven't deleted the noise pipe. Most people did that right away...when they got the car... 10 years ago

Anyway it sounds better without it

Yeah for the first eight years the car was strictly a commuter vehicle. It's only really turned into a toy now that I have more time to play with it.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Stupid question: those who've turned off their Soundaktor or eliminated their intake sound tube and were still on the stock exhaust... how much engine noise still comes through?

I'm really sick of looking at and working around the sound tube, so I think it's about time I get rid of it. I've kept it because I don't mind how it sounds but it always seems to get in the way when I need to do anything.
Enhanced by also removing the hood blanket, it sounds amazing.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
If I can get this busted Neuspeed Power Module I picked up to work I might be able to get more than a faint whiff of turbo noise into the car. Its ground wire needs a new terminal and the MAP sensor plugs are both broken... parts are in the mail.

Should keep me happy for a while so I can just go straight to a K04 pending the results of a future compression test and positive oil analysis.

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So I'm looking at the noise pipe to come up with a "creative" (cheap/lazy) way to do it, if I keep the plastic part which connects to the bracket attached to the alternator, I can just shove a ~1.5" freeze plug in there and maybe go over the top with a rubber PVC pipe cap and tighten it all down with a good hose clamp so there's solid friction resistance both inside and outside of the pipe to prevent it from flying out. For the hole on the firewall I think I can just shove a couple of socks in there for sound deadening and cap it with a 2" rubber PVC pipe cap. Total price... ~$10. Ugly to look at but I can do it the next time I get a couple of hours to hang out in the garage and swear at the car.

I'd like a proper metal pipe, but that's pretty low on the list of things to pay for. If I get tired of looking at it I can call a few local scrap yards and see if they have any Tiguans or CCs being scrapped.

Phur

Autocross Champion
yeah my hood blanket is basically removing itself at this point. The rear "tabs" can no longer support the weight.
That’s why I ended up removing mine. 😕

Phur

Autocross Champion
More woosh, more actual engine noise as the Car Gods intended
Yes, and yes. But with these engines, removed engine cover and hood insulation also equals louder ticking noises which are not as enjoyable.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, and yes. But with these engines, removed engine cover and hood insulation also equals louder ticking noises which are not as enjoyable.

psshh, i'll just fill my engine bay with spray foam so it sounds like a tesla

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
Installed the CTS Aluminum Radiator today. My ride was due for a coolant flush so decided to swap out the radiator and do the coolant all at once. Also installed the Cast Aluminum IBED connector.

Everything fit & matched up perfectly.

462-121-291U - IBED
CTS-HX-006 - CTS

19619EE8-D4E1-4EDD-A92A-681C65F51A9E.jpeg

AB3A42B7-F599-41E9-AE7D-F80A01F5E718.jpeg
9C33A929-DE87-4DCA-9B0C-3B66DB8982FC.jpeg
585BDD1A-1AAE-4AF9-938E-5C3ECF8E4D3F.jpeg
53789861-86DE-48B7-82E6-A0126563EE90.jpeg
63A5645D-CAC0-424A-A9BA-2B9EBD8660EF.jpeg

Attachments

• 923C7CD3-344B-424F-8CD9-C3A244B7703C.jpeg
    923C7CD3-344B-424F-8CD9-C3A244B7703C.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 159

torga

Autocross Champion
I didn't even realize CTS made a radiator.

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't even realize CTS made a radiator.
Neither did I. I knew ECS had a performance radiator for a decent price but I also saw CTS announce they had a new radiator for sale.

Added new pictures for weight differences. A good ~5lb difference.

Attachments

• 0C966C81-347C-43FC-A4F5-384F903B2652.jpeg
    0C966C81-347C-43FC-A4F5-384F903B2652.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 40
  • D8524DAC-FCF0-4523-9EA3-171E5F395A60.jpeg
    D8524DAC-FCF0-4523-9EA3-171E5F395A60.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 60

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
My wife got rain water down my window switches again and ruined them. I replaced the window switches and mirror control knob and the windows are fine again but the mirror switch replacement didn't fix it.

The issue is the mirror knob (both old and new) will move both mirrors left, right, and up but not down. When I press down the mirror tilts up.

Codes coming back say implausible signal from the mirrors.

Since it isn't the switch I'm guessing it is the wiring, or the connector going to the switch

anyway if anyone has had similar experience feel free to chime in

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
My wife got rain water down my window switches again and ruined them. I replaced the window switches and mirror control knob and the windows are fine again but the mirror switch replacement didn't fix it.

The issue is the mirror knob (both old and new) will move both mirrors left, right, and up but not down. When I press down the mirror tilts up.

Codes coming back say implausible signal from the mirrors.

Since it isn't the switch I'm guessing it is the wiring, or the connector going to the switch

anyway if anyone has had similar experience feel free to chime in
My mirrors dont move at all. In4updates.

I planned to check the pinning on the connectors and giving them a quick cleaning. Then I'll be checking the wiring at the door and in the mirror mechanism