GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Smarter/easier for a shop to fit bearings and brackets to "new" LCAs and just swap em out, or use the old LCAs and press old bearings out and new bearings in? Mulling over B6 Passat LCAs.

I think something from a wrecker would still need the old brackets pulled off and bearings pressed out, but then at least they're already off the car. Or is this 6 one way and half dozen the other (minus the unsprung weight difference)?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I did Passat LCAs on my car and used it as an opportunity to upgrade to a powerflex black(stiffest) ALK. Definitely made a lot of difference in traction but a lot of added NVH. I guess it depends on if you're looking for any performance out of it, but if not then probably not too much of a difference

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
It's more a question of what would technically be easier or faster. The refresh kit I bought comes with the S3 bushings in the bracket and then a replacement for that other bushing housed within the LCA. Either way the old bushing and bracket will have to come off the LCA (either from my car or a Passat) and then new ones installed... just depends if it's a time saver to do it on a set of LCAs that don't first have to come off the car.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
It’s a time saver as far as the car being down. I bought Passat LCA off eBay and pressed out the old bearings and pressed in new ones. That way when the car was apart it was just a matter of swap on and off. Then you could press out and put in new bearings from the old LCA’s and sell them.

Red888

Today I bought the R8 red top & APR coil pack to replace my faulty stock coils. My plan was to run the R8s and keep the APRs in the car in case I have random misfires. But came to a realisation that my R8 coil pack has a blank top. Seller claimed they’re OEM. I bought them from a reputable VAG workshop here in my country. Was told it’s OEM and apparently some of their recent stocks are blank as well in recent shipments. I didn’t really questioned them more as i was in a rush. Anyone else here had the same experience where their R8 coils are blank as well? Wouldn’t want to put cheap low grade quality coils as I’m tuned.

DBC65704-1C15-41E1-B247-42241DA7260E.jpeg
249F384C-6EE9-4D88-9AEF-F6B53CBDE863.jpeg

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Today I bought the R8 red top & APR coil pack to replace my faulty stock coils. My plan was to run the R8s and keep the APRs in the car in case I have random misfires. But came to a realisation that my R8 coil pack has a blank top. Seller claimed they’re OEM. I bought them from a reputable VAG workshop here in my country. Was told it’s OEM and apparently some of their recent stocks are blank as well in recent shipments. I didn’t really questioned them more as i was in a rush. Anyone else here had the same experience where their R8 coils are blank as well? Wouldn’t want to put cheap low grade quality coils as I’m tuned.

View attachment 270595View attachment 270596
Some sellers think all red tops are the same. Not true. Plenty of people in here have had something like this happen to them. Hopefully you can return them.

zrickety

The Fixer

View attachment 270595View attachment 270596
Yeah, if they didn't come in VW/Audi boxes, send those back. Haven't bought these in awhile, but mine had part numbers on them.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Mine are blank on top as well, although I do think they have a part number on them somewhere, just not up top. Been running them like 5 years without issue

smanierre

Autocross Champion
mine had no part number anywhere on them. Looks odd for an OEM product
Yeah I looked at mine yesterday afterwards and on the top where the connector goes on is the part number and VW symbol, so it seems like yours may not be genuine OEM

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Yeah I looked at mine yesterday afterwards and on the top where the connector goes on is the part number and VW symbol, so it seems like yours may not be genuine OEM

Probably a difference in terminology. Depends on how they listed the product.

https://help.fcpeuro.com/hc/en-us/a...What-s-the-Difference-Between-Genuine-OE-OEM-

Why buy the APRs as backups? I'd run the APRs or the R8s whichever way you fall in that debate and just have some lower cost stock coils as my backups.

watchthisspace

My GTI's steering wheel doesn't have any of the stereo controls, can this be retrofitted with much hassle? I'm guessing it's more involved than just getting the steering wheel buttons and plugging them in?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
My GTI's steering wheel doesn't have any of the stereo controls, can this be retrofitted with much hassle? I'm guessing it's more involved than just getting the steering wheel buttons and plugging them in?
Need modules, probably some worong and and then coding to make them work. It's added effort, I'll leave it to you to dig into to figure out it is worth the trouble.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I really tried looking for the answer before asking, but someone might know before I reach out and wait on VWR to let me know.

On the VWR cup edition wheels, are they ball seat like OEM or are they conical?