GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

Vdub_enthusiast

Ready to race!
Hey guys, so I purchased one of ATP turbos gt3071r-wg kit and I'm trying to figure out the coolant feed and return line fitment. If anyone is rocking one of ATP turbos stock location kit and can give me some insight on how to route the two lines and what fittings to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
After 17.5lb 17x9 wheels with 245 tread and swapping out rear springs for 400lb linear Swift springs, I bring the car to a local shop for alignment and corner balance. Even with lightweight Corbeau seats, lighter brakes, spare removed, 6.6lb GU1R race battery, full track exhaust (no muffler cases), etc. the car (4-door) still weights in at 3,310lbs with my fat ass in it. I can't get this car to take a diet worth of anything.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
245s will typically need a spacer (if the wheels are at ET45) to clear the front shocks.

Please, please, please tell me you are not tracking the car with the 18z brakes. They look great on a Mk6, they really do, but they are a horrible match for the master cylinder. Some information from an older post on here or Golfmk5.com:

Thanks for the info on the 245's. It'll be at least until next year before I switch to those, as I literally just put the 235's on! Not to mention in a week my work commute is going to change from 32 miles each way to 4...

As for the calipers, I'll also be doing the TTRS master cylinder. Also, from what I found the 18Z are a better match than the 17Z as far as piston area goes. The 18Z should be the ~ 2749 mm² variant..

Edit #3.. Since you seem to be well versed in the brake area, what is your opinion on the Golf R brakes vs the 18Z's? I actually like the way the R brakes work, which is MUCH better than the Boxster non-S caliper on stock sized rotors, I just hate the way the caliper looks. Will I actually be gaining anything going to 18Z's?

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
What would you guys consider to be safe power on a stock engine for this platform? I am under the impression that 400whp/wtq is about the limit. Am I wrong?

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
After 17.5lb 17x9 wheels with 245 tread and swapping out rear springs for 400lb linear Swift springs, I bring the car to a local shop for alignment and corner balance. Even with lightweight Corbeau seats, lighter brakes, spare removed, 6.6lb GU1R race battery, full track exhaust (no muffler cases), etc. the car (4-door) still weights in at 3,310lbs with my fat ass in it. I can't get this car to take a diet worth of anything.

god mine must be like 3700 then

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
god mine must be like 3700 then

Last time I checked mine last year was 3180 without me... No spare, 16 pound battery, exhaust only has one muffler, 18 pound wheels, boxster calipers with stock disks, etc..

Funny thing is, back in like 2012 before a lot of stuff I weighed it at 3005 pounds without me, on steelies/DR's, stock brakes and no spare. So I'm not sure what the hell I did between then and now.