GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Had a rash of changes and we are at 26psi now on my EFR 7163.

-ZZP Opel injectors swapped out for 8V S3 / MK7 Golf R injectors (slightly less flow but better start up, idle and drivability)
-Turbosmart diverter valve installed
-Engine bay topside fuel line converted to PTFE SS -6AN line & port fuel injectors connected
-New 2-stage Aquamist water methanol layout installed (post intercooler jet vs. direct port methanol jets)
-AEM AFR gauge removed, Innovate ECB-1 installed to monitor ethanol %, fuel temp, 4-bar boost, AFR
-Neuspeed turbo outlet pipe extended to remove the OEM green o-ring gasket connection to the Pag Parts true FMIC
-All worm gear clamps from the turbo compressor outlet through the turbo outlet pipe replaced with T-bolt clamps
-Throttle body coupler worm gear clamps replaced with T-bolt clamps
-New Eurodyne file with CAM 2 timing map smoothed out, revised LPFP duty cycle MAP and revised N75 duty cycle MAP for HIGHER boost (~26psi)
-New Torqbyte GPO1 MAP to support higher boost with twin 1,000cc split stream Bosch EV14 injectors
-New Torqbyte MAIN MAP to provide cooling through the 1.2mm Aquamist post intercooler jet (triggers at 8-10psi)
-New Torqbyte GPO2 MAP to turn on the second stage of water methanol through direct port Aquamist jets (triggers at 20psi for now)

Time to continue logging and watching AFR to dial in port fuel so we can keep increasing boost levels to 30+ psi. The car is an absolute monster and I'm finally enjoying big turbo power.

Next up, 2K mile engine break in sample of Brad Penn racing oil going out to Blackstone Labs and Brad Penn’s lead engineer for results and future oil recommendations and the Ecliptech Shift-P2+ installation and review.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
Excited to see the power level from that OE style exhaust manifold, you're either going to push really high EGTs or you'll be flow limited. It will be a good comparison vs. my EFR 7163 with PPT SS alloy single scroll manifold.

Do you have a picture of your manifold so we can see the difference?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

It's been a long road, with a build of this caliber done straight through for almost 2 years, it was drawn out due to small issues, perfecting hardware, setting up fuel controls, testing, logging and more testing. Throw in a new house and two little kids and I have enough time/money vampires spreading this build out. With winter approaching in the Northeast, I have a few more weeks to continue road tuning the car, increasing the boost and respective Torqbyte port fuel control to reach 30+ psi. Above that we will final dyno tune hopefully over winter along with plans for a final transmission build. Come Spring we are on to a full E85 tune and I start my kill list over 2018 inclusive of Slipstream Roll Race events at Pocono.

Do you have a picture of your manifold so we can see the difference?

I've busted my ass each and every day to keep a full chronological build journal on Instagram @becauseHYDE16

The problem I can see is that the Turbozentrum EFR setup will spool later vs. a K04 with the same OE style exhaust manifold and by the time it spools and generates higher airflow levels than an IHI(K03)/K04, it will start surging, followed by higher EGTs, followed by untested waters with whatever that exhaust manifold is made out of. Think about the latest stage 3 cracked exhaust manifolds.

Here is the Pag Parts Turbo Single Scroll V-Banded Cast Stainless Alloy Exhaust Manifold, or an example of a manifold that's needed for a higher flowing big turbo (single scroll or twin scroll). Aside from a welded tubular exhaust manifold or twin scroll variant, there is no comparison vs. an OE style exhaust manifold.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Above that we will final dyno tune hopefully over winter along with plans for a final transmission build. Come Spring we are on to a full E85 tune and I start my kill list over 2018 inclusive of Slipstream Roll Race events at Pocono.

LMK when it is I'll go

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I'm thinking 380-400whp/tq on a stock engine? Safe? Assuming a good tune that is knock free and without tq spikes.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
No issue mine/James's Mkv made 460ish chp on a 120k mile stock motor. Uni tune and fueling

How long was the engine stock for with that amount of power? Glad to hear that these things can handle that amount of power though.