GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Just taller gears, everything else is the same. Should help with traction & highway rolls. I've heard gli gears are too tall, Beetle trans uses gli gears with gti finals so it's right between the two.
But don't the weak gears still play a role here?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I was about to do that but they're $$$ and once you factor in buying and installing a new lsd + dgs tune + everything else that goes into it I don't think it's worth it. My beetle trans was only 680 w 9k miles on it. I also think rowing gears is fun when they don't break, so there;s that.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
I was about to do that but they're $$$ and once you factor in buying and installing a new lsd + dgs tune + everything else that goes into it I don't think it's worth it. My beetle trans was only 680 w 9k miles on it. I also think rowing gears is fun when they don't break, so there;s that.
Yeah I agree with you there, sometimes I wish I gotten a manual and other times I don't.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
How'd you track one down for that little? I would imagine the larger gear would mean less stress. Anyone trash a GLI or beetle gear yet?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
How'd you track one down for that little? I would imagine the larger gear would mean less stress. Anyone trash a GLI or beetle gear yet?
http://car-part.com/

Beetle trans code I used is MWS

I bargained it down to 680 from 875.

yes, there's that too, but I'm not sure if it's the torque that's doing it. High rpm 3-4 shifts are what kill 4th (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I doubt anyone has just because there aren't as many people that beat on them like gti transmissions.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I agree with you there, sometimes I wish I gotten a manual and other times I don't.

Honestly I've always hated the manual trans in this car. During high rpm shifting I get locked out of gear so often you wouldn't believe it. I've tried everything and nothing fixes it, even let other people drive it and they all have the same issue. What sucks even more is when you do make the shift it'll randomly just cut power (even though mine doesn't do that anymore) or it'll do that wonderful thing it likes to do where 4th falls apart and the whole transmission just goes to shit.

My friend let be borrow his 5spd Evo X and it was like a dream. Never missed a shift, felt solid as hell. Not a single complaint about that trans, made me hate my car/

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Honestly I've always hated the manual trans in this car. During high rpm shifting I get locked out of gear so often you wouldn't believe it. I've tried everything and nothing fixes it, even let other people drive it and they all have the same issue. What sucks even more is when you do make the shift it'll randomly just cut power (even though mine doesn't do that anymore) or it'll do that wonderful thing it likes to do where 4th falls apart and the whole transmission just goes to shit.

My friend let be borrow his 5spd Evo X and it was like a dream. Never missed a shift, felt solid as hell. Not a single complaint about that trans, made me hate my car/
Ya I heard about that power cut thing, weird as hell. I think the WOT box was a solution for that, not too sure though. It's just a weird transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.