GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Tiguan Pipe Install & Noise Maker Delete

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I had the waste gate screech on my car and now at 5K miles and the noise seems to have worked its way out. Used to hear it all the time and until it got brought up here I had forgot about it because it doesn't do it any more. I did nothing to stop it. I did plug the noise hose but put original hose back on to prevent blow out and have Carbino intake. Dont know if that helped. I plan on replacing the pipe and removing the noise plumbing. Maybe with use the rod gets polished or something and makes it stop, like it needed to break in or something. Just a guess though. It will probably start up now the I have mentioned it.

Me too, I haven't heard the wastegate anymore, not sure if because also i'm approaching 5k or because I plugged it in, I will doublecheck today for that sound

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
I still hear the wastegate rattle/screech between 2100 and 2900 rpm... and I'm approaching 10k miles. I think I'll let VW know about it when I take it in for the 10k service. If they give the old "it will go away with time" b.s. I'll make sure they know that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Tecni

Ready to race!
I figured I'd support this thread by adding the pricing on these parts:

1K0-145-770-N – Tiguan Pipe $148.48

1K0-971-866-A -- Firewall plug $11.48
1K0-971-865-A – Firewall Clip $11.48

I got these prices from my local VW dealer, I'm sure you can find better pricing out there.

Clempson13

Ready to race!
can anyone who has done this comment on the prices?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
can anyone who has done this comment on the prices?

What kind of comments are you looking for?

The post above you has the dealer prices and part numbers. They are what you should expect to pay.

Do you want to say whether or not they are bad or not? I'm not sure what your post is asking for.

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!
I just ordered my parts. Pricing below ...

Tiguan Pipe - $128
Firewall Plug - $9.90
Firewall Clip - $9.90

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!
Hah, awesome. I canceled my order through my local dealer and now ordering through that website. Did you guys provide your VIN # when ordering?

rigti9

Ready to race!
hi guys,

Ive been reading up on the noise pipe and am kinda confused as i don't see this pipe in my engine bay? BTW im from Malaysia. Different spec?

Anyone can concur if the Euro/Asian versions dont run the noise pipe?

Cheers

From other noise pipe delete mod DIY's I've read, it seems like all other spec's besides US (because we love loud cars?) don't have the noise pipe. Surprised nobody answered this for you yet. Especially our Canadian brothers on the forum; pretty sure they don't have it either.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You're extremely lucky if you don't have the issue and it kind of makes me wonder what's different about your car! :p It's a horrible noise to say the least.

Yeah I've either never noticed it (highly unlikely)....but I've seriously never heard anything odd

Link to a thread about this with pics or an explanation or something?
Is there a fix for it or anything?

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!
Yeah I've either never noticed it (highly unlikely)....but I've seriously never heard anything odd

Link to a thread about this with pics or an explanation or something?
Is there a fix for it or anything?

I've done several hours of research/reading on the topic on various websites, but I still can't find a conclusive reason for the problem. The "fixes" vary from letting the car break-in to installing a new turbo.

There are a couple guys that said installing a new DP fixed their problem, others that said the APR Stage I reflash changed the duty cycle on the wastegate and alleviated the noise, and one guy said installing his new intake fixed his.

Of course there are dozens of people with the problem and some were at the point of selling their cars beacuse of it. I suspect that there were at least a few that got to that point because they disappeared from threads they were very active on for months.

I'm going to start with the noise pipe delete and work my way up through a new intake, reflash, and new DP before deciding on the wastegate.

On a side note - with the noise pipe delete - do you expect to have issues at the dealership for warranty work? That would suck if they refused to do any work because of it! :p

finklejag

Ready to race!
I bought my parts from 1stvwparts. They're great, and fast shipping.

I been driving around for about a week now without the noise maker. My car feels faster. The throttle response is a lot quicker also.

I bet you local dealer wouldn't even notice the extra tubing is missing. I wouldn't worry about your warranty.