GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dude's R Build

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Yeah Tom and Ryan are the shit. ...shame Tom got caught up in the RSR debate and is no longer on here.... he is a stand up guy IRL.....I work in Lancaster so the shop is about 30 min for me.....

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Yeah Tom and Ryan are the shit. ...shame Tom got caught up in the RSR debate and is no longer on here.... he is a stand up guy IRL.....I work in Lancaster so the shop is about 30 min for me.....

I had no idea there even was an RSR debate:laugh:

I'm sure you meant RSC, but yeah that got out of hand quick. I have the RSC exhaust and am glad I do. It does its job well, sounds great with no drone, and is civil in daily driving. 10/10 would recommend to anyone.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
How many feet of wrap did you buy to wrap your intake?

I bought 30ft. I used it to wrap the charge/discharge pipes and have about 14 ft left for when I get around to the intake. I think that should be enough but who knows... I might be a little short so we shall see. I'll update when I do it. I'm waiting for a day when I have time to run some logs.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Didn't do much with the R today. In fact, all I did was pull it into the garage, which isn't as simple as it sounds. Had to spend 4 hours cleaning out the garage and reorganizing to even fit her in there. Also mounted the new car vac to the wall. It's actually pretty decent for a sub $100 vacuum. Not that great of a blower.

Then took the gf to my buddy's place to get the tails he took off his R before he traded it in. Did the coding for her after the install and added gauge sweeping while I was at it.

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
A new steering wheel should be arriving today. This is just a total OCD move by me because of a small scratch that you can barely see. Plus it'll be a new project. Like Plac, I need to stay busy with my car:laugh: This will be my first steering wheel swap and I looked at a bunch of DIY's. Getting the airbag off seems like that will be the biggest challenge.

don't you always get a bit nervous and uncomfortable when you are about to perform a parts job for the first time? I do.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Without a doubt. Especially when easily breakable plastic tabs are involved. Changing my first cam follower was a bit scary too.

my first WRX downpipe job was like that. took 3 hours. but last night i did a swap in 1.2 hours. i love learning a job.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I finally got around to wrapping the Unitronic Intake. Sadly, I did not run any logs. I really did intend to measure IAT's before and after but it rained a bunch and I didn't feel safe running logs when it was wet out. The other option was to wait another week or two but I was impatient and wanted to get this done.

The bend came out fairly well:

Sadly I ran out of tape near the turbo... I knew I might after being a bit aggressive and wrapping my turbo charge/discharge pipes before putting them in:

Last update (I actually did this a few thousand miles ago but never posted about it) is the Deutsche Auto Parts cam follower stud conversion kit:

The stud conversion kit allows you to remove the pump without messing with the bolts or threads which can cause failure. From the factory they weren't intended to be constantly removed and re-tightened every 10-15k for cam follower checks. It's a cheap preventive measure that gives piece of mind.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
nice touch on those HPFP studs. i always admire how complete your build is. If I had a Golf R that is how i would want it.

I finally got around to wrapping the Unitronic Intake. Sadly, I did not run any logs. I really did intend to measure IAT's before and after but it rained a bunch and I didn't feel safe running logs when it was wet out. The other option was to wait another week or two but I was impatient and wanted to get this done.

The bend came out fairly well:

Sadly I ran out of tape near the turbo... I knew I might after being a bit aggressive and wrapping my turbo charge/discharge pipes before putting them in:

Last update (I actually did this a few thousand miles ago but never posted about it) is the Deutsche Auto Parts cam follower stud conversion kit:

The stud conversion kit allows you to remove the pump without messing with the bolts or threads which can cause failure. From the factory they weren't intended to be constantly removed and re-tightened every 10-15k for cam follower checks. It's a cheap preventive measure that gives piece of mind.