GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - Shuenk TSI K03+ Turbo - Dyno

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
Our turbo's power output on Unitronic's Stage2 is a tougher question than with more aggressive mapping from other tuners. As covered before, the "trick" with this turbo is that it can deliver the requested power that a stock turbo cannot. And the way to identify that untapped potential is by looking at the data generated by that software. Here is what we see on Unitronic's Stage2 with a stock turbo. I will discuss them underneath the graphs.
Unitronic Stg2 logs boost load.png

As you can see, the stock turbo can meet boost targets. But actual load is a different story. The software is asking for more engine load than the turbo can deliver. Why the discrepancy? My guess is Unitronic calibrated their map for conservative boost requests as a guard against engine codes. A failure to meet requests might be interpreted by the ECU as a mechanical fault, and trouble codes owing to that would be very frustrating for their customers.

So what would happen if our K03+ turbo were able to boost enough for requested loads to be met -- but with actual boost going above the requests? That's a good question. Load is the "top dog" value. It's the one the ECU uses to make all its calculations and to form all other requests. But Unitronic's software is the first one we've seen where engine load doesn't align with actual boost.

Our test car is currently fitted with another Shuenk product -- the K04+ -- so we're not in the position to test Unitronic's map with the K03+. That's why we're offering the big rebate for exactly that kind of data.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
We've had a GTI owner step up to test this turbo on his Cobb Stage2 software. Before dropping his hard-earned cash into the project we went through his current setup's performance to see if there was power left on the table by his OEM turbo. Here's a look at his logs.

First, the software is commanding "maximum effort!" from the turbo. That's a good sign there's room for improvement.
Brenden Marvin stock turbo - Cobb Stg2-4.png

That is really aggressive boost duty. Especially in the short phase as boost is first being commanded. So it's no surprise to see the actual boost is very strong in the bottom half of the rev range.
Brenden Marvin stock turbo - Cobb Stg2-3.png

Boost is exceeding requests, but not by enough for the ECU to intervene drastically. However, it IS intervening somewhat. Look at the way the throttle angle is slightly modulating through that overboost section.
Brenden Marvin stock turbo - Cobb Stg2-2.png

While the turbo is delivering all the boost (and more) in midrange, by 5000rpms, it's quickly collapsing. And this is the rev range where the K03+ shines. That should mean the airflow values in the upper ranges ought to come up significantly. Right now they are honestly terrible.
Brenden Marvin stock turbo - Cobb Stg2-1.png

I believe this Cobb software should be able to accept an increase in airflows from the current (lame) 180g/s up to 225-230g/s. That's a good 50 added horsepower. Fitting the turbo will put my theory to the test.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Looks a lot like the K04 from the outside. I wonder what is different on the inside?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Just picked up a borescope and plan an doing some checks on the health of the turbo now that it has 500 miles on it and being stuck at home why not. I will report back on how it looks and if I can figure it out post some pics.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Now at 1000 miles and still running strong. I have been too busy to run the borescope down the turbo inlet but I did get a chance to look at my valves and the CC did not seem to help at all. with 15k sense install the valve are pretty gunked up. So meth or an additional inject is probably my only solution for the build up.

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Finally caught this thread. I like this option a lot. Has IE shown any interest in a stage 2 + file that maximizes the potential of the K03+ ? I think you could do over 300whp with the right software.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Here is the dyno with the IE K04 tune. The turbo runs great on both software you get more low end punch with the IE stg 2 but the pull on the K04 software is impressive for a small body turbo. But it has its limit like the top end drops off after 6000 due to maxing out its capabilities

Attachments

• K04 Dyno 319.jpg
    K04 Dyno 319.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 395

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Here is the dyno with the IE K04 tune. The turbo runs great on both software you get more low end punch with the IE stg 2 but the pull on the K04 software is impressive for a small body turbo. But it has its limit like the top end drops off after 6000 due to maxing out its capabilities
Dang, 330whp 320wtq?? Very nice! The power band actually looks very similar to the IE K04 dyno chart on their site. Do you have any logs you can share of this turbo with the K04 file?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Here is some of the data. Mass air flow chart and boost vs requested
C78EFF75-397D-4C18-9D64-B7CA2D16EED9.png

Attachments

• 9168EAC8-7A5C-4F5D-A341-C0C3E05384E8.png
    9168EAC8-7A5C-4F5D-A341-C0C3E05384E8.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 184

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks Travis! So the K03+ isn't able to hit the requested boost levels from the K04 file, which is expected. But if you're putting down 330whp that's still pretty dang good! Definitely considering this for my CC. Appreciate all you've done and all the data you're sharing.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Did a full borescope and everything looked great. No scoring or evidence of any issues. Also no evidence of blow by.
0DFDD61D-490D-4C6D-B1B6-1CFDA52290FA.jpeg
B62EF1FD-D478-4B97-853A-AC5784CA4EAC.jpeg
16EEF69D-9F62-4A64-B39B-B1C19D1CD3D0.jpeg
2D4E89BE-8D1F-4B66-977F-D3F321CCA2D8.jpeg
6A827E56-BC7F-4570-A6B2-ED02A67693C9.jpeg

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
This is a great post. Amazing to see there is still development happening for this platform. I wish they made the mk6 for a few more years - really was the shortest run any GTI had

Conclusion:
With an aging MK6 community we are all going to need to change our turbo eventually. The stock IHI turbo has its limits and add miles and normal wear and you are not even close to what your current stg2 MK6 can actually produce. This gave me a solid gain across the entire rev band without dropping a ton of money. So it is a big win for me with my full bolt on maxed out stg2. And there is potential to get more out of this turbo. We as a group spend more than this on most exhaust / DP systems. Also got rid of the FN wastegate rattle.

This is what will drive people like me to purchase one of these eventually. I strongly believe these 2.0t motors can run to & past 200k miles if maintained, but I do think the turbo has a good chance of needing to be replaced by that point. For the price of a stock turbo, you may as well pull the trigger on this one if you are stage 2 and didn't plan on going k04.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Did a full borescope and everything looked great. No scoring or evidence of any issues. Also no evidence of blow by.
Thanks for the updates. My stock IHI is running strong at 80k miles but once that sucker goes im definitely replacing it with this k03+.

Everyone knows k03 is where it is at. That's why the mk4 1.8t NeVaR LoOseS. This is common knowledge.

BTW, dunno if you know this but, the Shuenk website is actually using your data and pics!