GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
No sheetz

torga

Autocross Champion
I came across a killer deal for Golf R front brakes; has fresh calipers, new-ish ECS slotted rotors, Hawk pads, USP SS brake lines, all hardware - all for $600. Excellent deal, but I had planned on eventually doing the TT-RS brakes in the next year or so, so I'm trying to talk myself out of it.
Is the TT-RS set that much better? The rotors are 25mm larger in diameter, and it's a 4-pot caliper. Frankly, I'm surprised that the Golf R brakes are still single-piston.
I'm thinking that waiting for TT-RS fronts and Mk5 R32 rears will be a better brake setup at the end of the day than snagging this cheap Golf R setup and staying with GTI rears.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I came across a killer deal for Golf R front brakes; has fresh calipers, new-ish ECS slotted rotors, Hawk pads, USP SS brake lines, all hardware - all for $600. Excellent deal, but I had planned on eventually doing the TT-RS brakes in the next year or so, so I'm trying to talk myself out of it.
Is the TT-RS set that much better? The rotors are 25mm larger in diameter, and it's a 4-pot caliper. Frankly, I'm surprised that the Golf R brakes are still single-piston.
I'm thinking that waiting for TT-RS fronts and Mk5 R32 rears will be a better brake setup at the end of the day than snagging this cheap Golf R setup and staying with GTI rears.

Golf R brakes arent worth it in terms of an upgrade. Skip it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Golf R brakes arent worth it in terms of an upgrade. Skip it.
Thanks, it's what I'm thinking too. I don't want to do a half-ass upgrade, only to wish I whole-assed it and spend more money later.

Are there any other rear brake options for outside, outside of Mk5 R32? Straight bolt-ons, I mean. Not looking for 3rd party BBKs or anything like that.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks, it's what I'm thinking too. I don't want to do a half-ass upgrade, only to wish I whole-assed it and spend more money later.

Are there any other rear brake options for outside, outside of Mk5 R32? Straight bolt-ons, I mean. Not looking for 3rd party BBKs or anything like that.

Yes,

Paging Dasvdub

torga

Autocross Champion
Skip the ttrs brakes too. They are very heavy and not made for our master cylinder. You'll have a crap feeling squishy pedal unless you upgrade the master too. And at that point you're in bbk territory for money. Just get a stoptech st40 and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, the TTRS MC was already on my kit list.
Is the caliper block not made of aluminum? Do you know a ballpark, per corner weight of the TTRS kit with OEM rotors?

Edit: the Stoptech kit is 328mm, while TTRS is 370mm. So TTRS will absolutely be heavier, but is there a performance gain to the weight? That's a lot more clamping area.

The Stoptech kit can be had for ~$2,000, which does put it in a similar ballpark as putting together the TT-RS kit.

Edit 2: nevermind, just found a 355mm ST40 kit for $2,600.

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Is the caliper block not made of aluminum? Do you know a ballpark, per corner weight of the TTRS kit with OEM rotors?

Edit: the Stoptech kit is 328mm, while TTRS is 370mm. So TTRS will absolutely be heavier, but is there a performance gain to the weight? That's a lot more clamping area.

The Stoptech kit can be had for ~$2,000, which does put it in a similar ballpark as putting together the TT-RS kit.

I don't know the weight of hand but ttrs calipers and rotors are very heavy. I've installed a set for a guy in the past and was laughing to myself trying to figure out why people waste their money on them. Scene points I guess.

The pad surface area isn't all that much larger, a proper bbk is a much better option.

As far as a 355 rotor vs 328, I like the 328 option much better. So much weight saved between the 355 and they fit under 17" wheels where a 355 won't. You can find kits much cheaper than the prices you quoted if you look around. I think I paid 1300 or so for the kit and then had to buy track pads separately.

I beat the shit out of my brakes at the track, the 328 rotors are more than capable if you're looking for performance and keeping weight down.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

18z upgrade by yourself doing your own kit can be had for less than $800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
In a moment of clarity, I remembered that I'm ultimately saving up for a BNR32, so why I'm I arguing with myself about spending $2k or $3k on brakes.

So I decided to stick with GTI calipers and simply make the braking experience the best it can possibly be, as-is, for <$1k.
So, braided stainless lines, TyrolSport caliper stiffeners and MC bracket, a good set of rotors - maybe Stoptech, solid pads - maybe EBC RedStuff, but I'll do more research.

I would still like to do some suspension upgrades, so I'll spread my money out.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Skip the ttrs brakes too. They are very heavy and not made for our master cylinder. You'll have a crap feeling squishy pedal unless you upgrade the master too. And at that point you're in bbk territory for money. Just get a stoptech st40 and call it a day.

Is there a reason to not go with the Wilwoods?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
If you want good pads just get carbotech if you aren’t gonna upgrade your calipers. Blank rotors will do you just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk