GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Was this with a collar kit installed?

No. I did remove the subframe but he said he didn’t need to touch it.

So maybe they could have gotten it more even if they had adjusted it? Not sure what gets moved with the subframe

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
No. I did remove the subframe but he said he didn’t need to touch it.

So maybe they could have gotten it more even if they had adjusted it? Not sure what gets moved with the subframe

Just curious, yea you could get some camber/caster out of the subframe but maybe not that much to even it out. There are tricks to every car, just most basic alignment guys don't care I guess. I find it funny that everyone posts up these sheets, and the toe left and right is almost never the same. It's not that hard... lol. At least your guy did the rear camber

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
What's it take for CEL to come on? I've found several codes since I've had my OBDeleven that I would expected to trip the CEL, most notably the ones I found today- P0300 and P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). My CEL has never come on and I would never have known if I didn't happen to use the tool today for some other reason.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Misfires are generally displayed as a flashing light while the misfire is occurring (not sure if CEL or ESP light on VW). If the misfire is bad enough it will trip a CEL.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Ecu tracks all faults. Not all faults trigger CEL. Frequency of faults can trigger it, like for misfires. Berfore i changed my plugs a few weeks ago i had misfires per vagcom but no cel.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy new coils and plugs today. I haven't troubleshot which is causing the misfires yet, but I'm still gonna do it all in one go, just as a maintenance item.

I was thinking back to a previous car with a flashing CEL for a misfire, but then again that was a "hard" misfire where that cylinder was completely dead, so it ran super rough and was basically limping. I guess this is a lot milder at the moment :)

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I might be putting them on tomorrow night. I'm hoping I won't need an alignment. Changing the caster should not change toe or camber so I should be okay. Really don't want to pay for another alignment. Cutting into my K04 monies!!!!!
Check out NTB, I found a GroupOn for a $39.99 four wheel alignment back in January and it came with a 6mo warranty. I just checked and they have it on sale for $36.32 right now, they did a good job on mine. The dude didn't even activate my Groupon voucher so I can still use it for when I go mow down some more potholes in HTX.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
IMG_20200602_161445.jpg

Opinions on this radial-ish line on my rotor? I can't feel anything, fingernail doesn't catch on it at all.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Opinion: it's in the shape of a brake pad. Probably will go away in a few miles with braking.

That was my thought too but it's been there for a while (months probably), hence why I am asking folks with more knowledge than I have.

...unless it isn't the same line every time I check my rotors, but I don't know brake pads to leave a residue line when coming to a stop...

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I get those lines sometimes, but usually just after the car was wet or had been sitting for a long time. It usually doesn't take much braking at all for them to go away, though. Like you said, you need to figure out whether it's the same line or a different line each time. Make some kind of index mark on the rotor, or just use a reference point on your wheel or tire.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
So I've got a (possibly) stupid question... On the APR rsb the inner-most holes are the stiffest and the outer-most (closest to the end link) are softest correct? Huge brain fart right now haha

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Has anyone done any soundproofing in their car? I'm trying to find a way to get rid of a lot of the plastic rattles on my car so I can hear the actual broken parts making noise. I was thinking of pulling them off and putting some kind of foam behind them to prevent the rattling. Anyone done something like this?