GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

BjxGTI

Ready to race!
honestly i wish i was about a half inch lower but they're not bad. handles well.

https://www.urotuning.com/products/...-and-golf-tdi-vwr31g5gt?variant=8384680362039
I’ve got them too and love them, but I’m also running the VWR sport shocks. I’m not sure how the springs are with the Koni yellows. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Got the VWR Springs installed yesterday, seems like one side is higher than the other, going to wait for it to settle now before I get an alignment...

Looks like theyre lower than my DG springs already lol...

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
If I were to have the shop let me keep my OEM clutch kit when I go with a SMFW stage 2, could I take my OEM kit to a metal recycler for any significant money?

Random thought that crossed my mind just now...

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Probably not. Clutch plates and such are very carcinogenic. If anything they'll charge you a disposal fee

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Probably not. Clutch plates and such are very carcinogenic. If anything they'll charge you a disposal fee
That’s what I figured. I also had an extra brain cell kick in and remembered most OEM clutches are organic and not highly metallic anyways. Thanks for humoring my curiosity.

For some reason I initially was linking a clutch to something like a down pipe in terms of recyclability

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion

The days of carcinogenic clutches & brakes are behind us. They have stopped using asbestos in brakes & clutches years ago. That being said always be very careful around brakes & clutches. Never use an air hose to blow the dust away. Brake cleaner is the modern day way to do that. Lost a very good friend to mesothemeola cancer due to years of working with brakes & clutches.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The days of carcinogenic clutches & brakes are behind us. They have stopped using asbestos in brakes & clutches years ago.
No they are still very much carcinogenic

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
For some reason I initially was linking a clutch to something like a down pipe in terms of recyclability
Alot of the money back you get from recycling a downpipe comes from the platinum in the catalytic converter

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
They put that prop 65 warning on a lot of car parts. And yea palladium/rhodium also.

They might take the pressure plate or flywheel but probably not going to get much for it.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
They might take the pressure plate or flywheel but probably not going to get much for it.
Probably get the same amount that you would turning something like a brake rotor in.

BjxGTI

Ready to race!
welp... replaced the snapped DG spring and drove it for a day...

and now my rear hatch trunk lock broke, hatch will not close...

Anyone replace it before? where did you get the parts from?

Also, if you know if theres any tutorial out there, feel free to send them my way

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Need some opinions: dumb/risky or fine?

Messed with tunes yesterday, switched my Cobb St. 1 High Boost for a Cobb St. 1+ Stock MAF file to see if anything changed at all (technically designed for an air intake, I don’t have one). The 1+ peaks at 18psi compared to 1HB at 17.5psi. The throttle mapping is pretty different however. Will running this be semi-safe for 3-9mo? An intake definitely sucks in more air...

I only had time to roll into one pull and was holding a bit lower boost (105F ambient with 147F IAT though) but the throttle mapping was crazy better so I’m hesitant to switch back to what now seems like a laggy throttle feel on my 1HB map which I thought was way better than stock. The drive-ability on 1+ is fantastic. Forgot to log yesterday but I captured min/max values afterwards. Running a bit lean? No codes thrown. Knock retard came right before I shifted 2nd-3rd. Car was powered off so Boost/AFR aren’t reading anything.
7487B6BA-363E-411B-856D-3E1D376740D6.jpeg

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Just drill some holes into the bottom of your stock air box. The stock air intake is actually quite good.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Just drill some holes into the bottom of your stock air box. The stock air intake is actually quite good.
I figured it was fine because I’ve heard of people running it with K04’s and stage 2. But what is this hole drilling madness you speak of?