GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah my mileage dropped to around 19 city being this rich lol. I wonder if it was also running so rich to help the engine? It was hot as hell.
What? No... increased temps would result in expansion of air which equals less oxygen which equals less boost. The ECU would drop your fuel to match the lower oxygen content not increase fuel.

You better stop messing around with your tune dude.

Lower temps, more dense air, more oxygen, more fuel to match for increased power.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Nah, it doesn't work like that. Your fuel quantity will increase as temperature decreases, and if your IAT is too high it will retard timing.
Yeah I understand. For some reason I also was thinking more fuel = lower EGTs but it’s the opposite. Been a long day...
What? No... increased temps would result in expansion of air which equals less oxygen which equals less boost. The ECU would drop your fuel to match the lower oxygen content not increase fuel.

You better stop messing around with your tune dude.

Lower temps, more dense air, more oxygen, more fuel to match for increased power.
Yep, gotcha loud and clear. Just FYI, Cobb stage 1 tune on both 91 and 93 (setup for a completely stock vehicle) pulled into the bottom 10s routinely as well. My stock tune went down to high 10s. My buddy’s MS3 runs the same with each of his Cobb tunes. Cobb is known to run pretty rich and leave a lot on the table...

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
COBB fucking sucks.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Yes I’m aware Cobb tunes suck. I’m not running them long term, rather, going Protune with stratified once this fall semester begins. Everyone knows Cobb tunes run crazy rich and conservative as hell. Not why I bought it.

I also assumed low 10s were fine for AFR because I found this back when I bought it. 10 seemed fine? 9.70 isn’t, but is 10 not okay? I don’t think it’s me messing around with my tune too much..

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
No "tuner" at a shop is going to send a car out the door running 10:1, unless they just don't like you.
Right, due to it being quite rich.

I expected 10:1 to be fine on an OTS map because they’re going with caution? Again not expecting Stratified to run like this. My original question is me asking about running this questionably rich Cobb tune for the next few months until I finish some of my build and go stratified.

I think y’all got the point across lol. Cobb sucks, don’t run OTS maps and stay around 12 for AFR (y)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I want to do some AF logs now. I'm curious. Raining today so maybe tomorrow.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
👍 I couldn’t remember for sure which direction it came from. It’s been a while.
This. I haven't had a stock airbox on the mk6 for 4+ years, guess I forgot the direction of things.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
How fast do you tuned folks go through spark plugs? I've been getting misfires recently so I ordered a set of plugs just in case. I pulled my old ones today and this is the result. The gaps were all about .05" vs the .028" when I installed. They've only been in there for a year or maybe a little more so that seems kinda quick.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
How fast do you tuned folks go through spark plugs? I've been getting misfires recently so I ordered a set of plugs just in case. I pulled my old ones today and this is the result. The gaps were all about .05" vs the .028" when I installed. They've only been in there for a year or maybe a little more so that seems kinda quick.

I usually replace mine every 10k

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Everything jay says is usually in regards to his track car. For a daily, your plugs should last like 60k miles.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I believe 60k is also the VW recommended interval as well.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
We are spoiled by these modern cars. Used to be you put new plugs in & at 5,000 miles you pulled them & checked the gap. Oh yes don't forget to check the gap on the points too.

My plugs lasted 40,000 miles, could have gone longer I think. My car is stock so there's that. With a tune I'd guess every 10,000 miles would be OK for me.