GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone have an idea of what the part is that I highlighted? Oil seems to be leaking from it. This is a photo from underneath the back of the engine. Thanks!
View attachment 182328

I have a similar looking situation, but I think in my case it it's actually coming from the valve cover gasket (yes I know that's not technically what it's called), and running down past the tensioner. I'd check for that before doing anything.

I was just relieved it wasn't a turbo oil line fitting.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Is liquid wrench a good cutting agent for drilling?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Actual drilling oil like Tap Magic is best but I'd use Liquid Wrench. I use WD40 and 3in1 oil also.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this shifter cable end supposed to be attached with a clip like the passenger side? Mine slides completely off.
IMG_0134.JPG

torga

Autocross Champion
Is this shifter cable end supposed to be attached with a clip like the passenger side? Mine slides completely off.
View attachment 182935
It doesn't have a clip like the front-to-back, but it's not supposed to slide off with zero resistance. There's a raised retention clip of sorts on the end of that post. The side-by-side arm just kinda "clips" into place.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
You can see there is a witness mark on the pin it is supposed to slide onto. Looks like it wouldn't be long before your shifting would have become shiftless.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
It doesn't have a clip like the front-to-back, but it's not supposed to slide off with zero resistance. There's a raised retention clip of sorts on the end of that post. The side-by-side arm just kinda "clips" into place.
You can see there is a witness mark on the pin it is supposed to slide onto. Looks like it wouldn't be long before your shifting would have become shiftless.

I just rotated the cable end 180 degrees and it stays on much better. I checked the shift lever photos on ECS and it looks exactly the same. Really strange that there isn't a solid clip to keep it on.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I know that a catless downpipe produces a different sound than a high flow catted downpipe. Is there much difference between the sounds of different manufacturers of high flow catted downpipes though? Is the USP downpipe decent?

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
not really an answer, @Phur, but the design is not all that different between most manufacturers. good luck getting a catless DP though. EPA cracking down on manufacturers that enable the consumer to bypass emissions standards.

Phur

Autocross Champion
not really an answer, @Phur, but the design is not all that different between most manufacturers. good luck getting a catless DP though. EPA cracking down on manufacturers that enable the consumer to bypass emissions standards.
I would prefer a catted downpipe anyway. I feel like there is less chance of issues and drama later that way. I called a semi-local tuner (still over an hour away). They said that I could pay the money for the Stage 2 tune upgrade before Labor Day and get the car flashed, then flashed back to Stage 1 with CAI and I would be able to flash back to the Stage 2 Tune whenever I got the downpipe because I would own the tune already. They are still supporting the tune, just not selling it after Labor Day.

Phur

Autocross Champion

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I know that a catless downpipe produces a different sound than a high flow catted downpipe. Is there much difference between the sounds of different manufacturers of high flow catted downpipes though? Is the USP downpipe decent?
I honestly didn't notice any difference at all in noise switching from a Eurojet catted dp (high flow 200 cell cat) to a catless.