GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Can someone help me work through this vacuum logic? I know that to diagnose a bad PCV, one can just pull up the dipstick while the engine is running and see if it stutters. Does this troubleshooting step still work with a catch can? And then part B to that question, since there are a few different ways to hook up a catch can, is there a catch can setup that could affect this troubleshooting step?
In my example, I have the ECS catch can. The front side of the PCV gets disconnected from the intake manifold and plugged. The rear side of the PCV gets routed to the CC inlet, and the CC outlet gets routed into the intake tube, just before the turbo. Would pulling the dipstick still break vacuum in this scenario?
I'm gonna say yes. closed system and PCV still in place... but the sound difference might not be the same. had to check the flow of things in the install PDF to confirm the setup... which seems different than what you have...

https://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6...swagen_MK6_TSI_ECS_Catch_Can_Installation.pdf

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm gonna say yes. closed system and PCV still in place... but the sound difference might not be the same. had to check the flow of things in the install PDF to confirm the setup... which seems different than what you have...

https://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6...swagen_MK6_TSI_ECS_Catch_Can_Installation.pdf
Maybe I worded it oddly, but the way that document describes is exactly how I've got it set up.
If this is the case, my PCV is not happy. I'll buy the RKX diaphragm to see if that does anything.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Maybe I worded it oddly, but the way that document describes is exactly how I've got it set up.
If this is the case, my PCV is not happy. I'll buy the RKX diaphragm to see if that does anything.
check the connections it has you capping. if you think vacuum leak start with the one on the Intake Manifold.

torga

Autocross Champion
check the connections it has you capping. if you think vacuum leak start with the one on the Intake Manifold.
I don't believe I have an active vac leak and I'm not seeing any vac leak symptoms. Boost gauge still shows 20-22 inches at idle -- idle is smooth. I just decided to pull the dipstick the other day and I didn't hear a change in idle, so I got to wondering.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I don't believe I have an active vac leak and I'm not seeing any vac leak symptoms. Boost gauge still shows 20-22 inches at idle -- idle is smooth. I just decided to pull the dipstick the other day and I didn't hear a change in idle, so I got to wondering.
the dipstick trick is for when you're having a rough idle. pulling makes it ok sounding.

torga

Autocross Champion
the dipstick trick is for when you're having a rough idle. pulling makes it ok sounding.

That's not a rough idle, that's a dying rat.

Phur

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion

jedred1

jedred1
Do you need an alignment after installing end links? I want to replace front and rear OEM with OEM again.

torga

Autocross Champion
Do you need an alignment after installing end links? I want to replace front and rear OEM with OEM again.
You shouldn't, no. You're not directly altering any part of the suspension geometry that would change an alignment.