GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thumper's 2012 Stg 3 Golf R - The Defiant

torga

Autocross Champion
I ironically just got these put up on the UroTuning site like twenty minutes ago. Here is a graph of the testing they ran for these specific coils for reference:

View attachment 219709
It's an extra ~3% of output energy at the very top end of dwell, but you're seeing a fairly consistent energy increase throughout most of the curve. Not entirely sure if 3% is enough to truly be noticeable. Keeping my ears perked for reviews and such.
In any case, a set of APR coils cost roughly the same as a set of genuine R8 coils. So if the reliability is there, it's a no brainer to pay the same amount for something that outputs 3% more energy.
Thought about this some more. It's only a 3% increase if you compare (X,Y) coordinate versus (X,Y) coordinate, but that's not accurate -- you need to compare the area under each curve. So the total energy output over those 2ms is likely 10-15% higher than stock.

Been a long time since I've had to do real math 😅

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Thought about this some more. It's only a 3% increase if you compare (X,Y) coordinate versus (X,Y) coordinate, but that's not accurate -- you need to compare the area under each curve. So the total energy output over those 2ms is likely 10-15% higher than stock.

Been a long time since I've had to do real math 😅
nerd

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I wonder what that translates into as far as the effect that it has on our cars, though. Will the extra output energy result in a stronger, more consistent spark? Will that create a more consistent burn? If so, I would think that it would cause the engine to run smoother, perhaps with a very very slight increase in power. Or are the OEM coils good enough that the extra output energy is irrelevant?

Thumper? It sounds like you have some work to do. 😜

Yup.

I ran ignition logs about a year ago when I installed red tops and new plugs. I technically SHOULD run new logs before I swap but I just really want them on this weekend. We shall see.

I'd like to figure out a way to test the coil differences betyween stock blacktops and the R8 redtops. they are different shape and a tad heavier, so i'd imagine they have more wiring than stock.

Could be more insulation/resin/etc as well. Wouldn't it be hilarious if R8 guys swapped out to the Golf coils for weight savings? :)

Thumper

Autocross Champion
FINALLY an update. Life has been hectic lately, recovering from rapid fire track outings earlier in the season and was away on vacation the end of July, lots of catching up around the house.

Got the APR ignition coils installed a few weeks ago and ran logs, just got some time to go through the logs and crunch some data to share.

The old coils were some "Red Top" coils I bought at ECS but APR tested the R8s and found they were actually no different than OEM anyway.

Data was from 8 runs with each set of coils with Red Top logs done on Saturday and APR coils done on Sunday. Same road and time of day, similar weather so as many variables as possible removed. Data was averaged from runs to make it easier to display. Butt dyno showed car felt more responsive with the APR coils, boost data shows an odd pattern but ultimately stronger boost at upper RPMs.

torga

Autocross Champion
FINALLY an update. Life has been hectic lately, recovering from rapid fire track outings earlier in the season and was away on vacation the end of July, lots of catching up around the house.

Got the APR ignition coils installed a few weeks ago and ran logs, just got some time to go through the logs and crunch some data to share.

The old coils were some "Red Top" coils I bought at ECS but APR tested the R8s and found they were actually no different than OEM anyway.

Data was from 8 runs with each set of coils with Red Top logs done on Saturday and APR coils done on Sunday. Same road and time of day, similar weather so as many variables as possible removed. Data was averaged from runs to make it easier to display. Butt dyno showed car felt more responsive with the APR coils, boost data shows an odd pattern but ultimately stronger boost at upper RPMs.
You should share that data with APR -- I'm sure they'd love to tout that as user experience. Really good data, man. Making me strongly consider picking up a set.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't put it past ECS to sell red tops that were just colored OEM and not proper R8 coils.

Interesting data nonetheless.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't put it past ECS to sell red tops that were just colored OEM and not proper R8 coils.

Interesting data nonetheless.

They weren't marketed as R8 coils, they were listed as OEM Red Top coils listed to fit the R. As I said, APRs in house testing is stated to have shown the actual coils from an R8 were no different but I like data to be accurate so my personal testing I feel it's important to note what I had on prior.

I agree the data is interesting and I am happy to see some real differences and improvements.

What sucks is the previous owner broke the release clip on the harness for coil pack #3, and I forgot about that until I was removing the old coils which was a pain in the ass with that broken clip. If I had remembered I would have changed the plugs out at the same time. They only have 10k on them but would have saved me a hassle as I plan to change them out after the last two track weekends this year. But maybe I can just have my tuner do that when they do the timing service. lol

torga

Autocross Champion
What sucks is the previous owner broke the release clip on the harness for coil pack #3, and I forgot about that until I was removing the old coils which was a pain in the ass with that broken clip. If I had remembered I would have changed the plugs out at the same time. They only have 10k on them but would have saved me a hassle as I plan to change them out after the last two track weekends this year. But maybe I can just have my tuner do that when they do the timing service. lol
I have the same previous owner shenanigans. Actually, same coil pack on mine, too -- #3. I just use a small pick when I need to unplug the harness. Luckily, the piece of plastic that keeps the harness clipped onto the coil is intact. It's just the bit you press on with your thumb that's broken off.