GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion

It looks like it's so you don't end up with something like that bumper, where the bottom part of the bumper is pushing the plate away and the plates resting on that lip.

So VW literally just cut a hole in the bumper to accommodate US-sized plates... laaaaa-zy!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Stupid question, but am I an idiot for not replacing the timing chain tensioner on my 2010 MK6 with 130k miles in favor of new wheels and coilovers?

Time will tell if your choice of wheels & coilovers instead of a tensioner & a new timing chain was stupid or not. Hope you don't regret the choices you've made.

Edit... Good call to cancel the wheels & have the work done.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I vaguely remember this but I need help. Warm start, the car seems to die or struggle on first attempt. Second attempt is fine. No CEL, no driving issues.
First time today car caught itself and stayed on. Second time after lunch, car died and required second crank.
Any thoughts??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I vaguely remember this but I need help. Warm start, the car seems to die or struggle on first attempt. Second attempt is fine. No CEL, no driving issues.
First time today car caught itself and stayed on. Second time after lunch, car died and required second crank.
Any thoughts??

Dunno, I've had no start first starts for all 6 years I've owned my car. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it always starts on the 2nd attempt.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Any thoughts??

HPFP?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Any thoughts??

pm boostedvw11, he had this issue for a long time. Think he resolved it somehow.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
yeah not really sure dont really have the problem anymore.

not because of the start issue but since then ive changed coils, plugs, fuel filter .

could also be carbon? only happened to me on warm days between a certain temperature.

try to start it again after long drive so that oil temp gauge is just above cold, thats when it would happen for me. blip of throttle would save it from dying. (park car for 1 or 2 hours after driving it, probably be around that temp)

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys, yeah I remember seeing something bout this few years back. Always seems to be a warmer weather issue. Never seen before in the cold.
Maybe hpfp.
fuel filter, spark plugs, oil, motor, and battery are relatively new.
I'll throttle blip next time.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got my ALK in along with the front bushings as well. I figured i'll have to pull out the control arms to install them so I was thinking of getting the passat control arms and putting them in while i'm in there. Does anyone have a link to the control arms or know what generation/year is the correct one? Also any tips on installing these bushings?

Edit: Also adjustment on the front bushing. Link here so people can see what i'm talking about. https://www.urotuning.com/products/pff85-501gbx2?variant=8384915734583

torga

Autocross Champion
Got my ALK in along with the front bushings as well. I figured i'll have to pull out the control arms to install them so I was thinking of getting the passat control arms and putting them in while i'm in there. Does anyone have a link to the control arms or know what generation/year is the correct one? Also any tips on installing these bushings?
You want B6 arms. Older Passat's are all over junkyards, so this is a cheap upgrade.