GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Sorry to hear that man. How many revisions have you gone through till now if I may ask? For my K03 it took 2 revisions to perfection, but I was bone stock. For my K04 I'm currently at the 9th iteration, but I also got IC, DP, TOP, Pulley gradually in between my tunes and halfway through ended up having hesitations which is why it took longer. I also purchased a top up after my last mod. More mods will need more work.

Have you made sure your car is OK hardware wise? Not saying it's, not just trying to think what could be wrong. If you are on your e.g. third iteration, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm on my 9th like I said and have noticed improvements, albeit small sometimes, with each revision. It's just the nature of the game.

And yes, heat is a b****! I'm noticing differences between hot and cold days.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I'm just on the first one they sent me so far, so I haven't been too worried about it. I still need to get my logs and see what kind of changes they make after some refinements.

jeez

Ready to race!
I'm just on the first one they sent me so far, so I haven't been too worried about it. I still need to get my logs and see what kind of changes they make after some refinements.
Yeah, just wait a little. I thought the same when I was in your place but I absolutely loved my 3rd iteration. And my second was fine power wise, we were just working on very low speed roughness.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I don't really have the best metrics to go by though. With APR 2.4 I used to see as high as 25 psi requested boost, but I'm not sure I've seen much more than 21 with stratified, so I would assume that means I'm losing some amount of power.
That concerns me seeing how on our IHI turbos are like 22lbs is basically it for any efficiency zone. 25 is well over the efficiency zone and what i would consider over boosting..

Also boost isnt the only way to make power, timing advancement etc all plays a role.

Also a more smooth tune (as in it drives and accelerates more linearly and smoothly will feel less powerful than a in your face woosh of power.
So without dynoing the cars back to back on the same day with the same conditions you wont really know what you are making or not making.

myslowgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a question about the Cobb ap. I haven't seen it stated anywhere else. But as far as the torque actual goes, where exactly is the AP getting those numbers from? Bc with the Cobb OTS stage 2 tune. It was saying 280 ish & now with stratified I'm making 225. If someone could explain that to me a little that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeez

Ready to race!
I have a question about the Cobb ap. I haven't seen it stated anywhere else. But as far as the torque actual goes, where exactly is the AP getting those numbers from? Bc with the Cobb OTS stage 2 tune. It was saying 280 ish & now with stratified I'm making 225. If someone could explain that to me a little that would be great.

Lol. Just lol. I asked the exact same question in my thread and Alex answered it. Long story short...Don't worry. Just take a look at the thread. Cobb Accessport logging/features /
experiences.

Basically once you change the turbo the values are off because the ECU still thinks you're on the K03 or something along those lines...

myslowgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol. Just lol. I asked the exact same question in my thread and Alex answered it. Long story short...Don't worry. Just take a look at the thread. Cobb Accessport logging/features /
experiences.

Basically once you change the turbo the values are off because the ECU still thinks you're on the K03 or something along those lines...

Ok lol thanks

jeez

Ready to race!
I still have the stock turbo though. Just 2 different tunes.

Alex can chime in but I'm sure there's an explanation and it has something to do with how the tune fools the ECU with regards to boost and other values but I'll let Alex do the talking.

You can also verify this via VDyno by dumping the AP logs in it.

Also, no way in hell the OTS Cobb tune has you putting down 280wtq. The Cobb tunes are extremely conservative and you feel it for sure. I went to it from APR Stage 1 and it felt like Stage 0.5. Unless they've updated the tune.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
That concerns me seeing how on our IHI turbos are like 22lbs is basically it for any efficiency zone. 25 is well over the efficiency zone and what i would consider over boosting..

Also boost isnt the only way to make power, timing advancement etc all plays a role.

Also a more smooth tune (as in it drives and accelerates more linearly and smoothly will feel less powerful than a in your face woosh of power.
So without dynoing the cars back to back on the same day with the same conditions you wont really know what you are making or not making.

Aye, it's why I said I don't really have the best metrics to go by. It's all feelings and what I think, nothing definitive. I'm a lazy SOB so I still don't have my boost tap hooked up, so I have no idea what my actual boost was with APR. I've definitely seen it peak at 25.6 psi requested boost with apr though, and 24 was pretty frequent while it would hold at about 22.

We'll see where I sit after my update and maybe I'll hook up my boost tap finally lol

I need to find an obd splitter too, so I can run my p3cars gauge and cobb ap at the same time, if that's even possible.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Aye, it's why I said I don't really have the best metrics to go by. It's all feelings and what I think, nothing definitive. I'm a lazy SOB so I still don't have my boost tap hooked up, so I have no idea what my actual boost was with APR. I've definitely seen it peak at 25.6 psi requested boost with apr though, and 24 was pretty frequent while it would hold at about 22.

We'll see where I sit after my update and maybe I'll hook up my boost tap finally lol

I need to find an obd splitter too, so I can run my p3cars gauge and cobb ap at the same time, if that's even possible.
hmmm im not sure if you can do that lol

myslowgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Alex can chime in but I'm sure there's an explanation and it has something to do with how the tune fools the ECU with regards to boost and other values but I'll let Alex do the talking.

You can also verify this via VDyno by dumping the AP logs in it.

Also, no way in hell the OTS Cobb tune has you putting down 280wtq. The Cobb tunes are extremely conservative and you feel it for sure. I went to it from APR Stage 1 and it felt like Stage 0.5. Unless they've updated the tune.

That's the same thing I was thinking lol. Bc with the stratified tune my butt dyno says it's making more than the Cobb OTS. The numbers were just throwing me off. Hopefully Alex can further explain what's going on.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Just wanted to chime in, and say thanks to this thread and the multitude of reviews online, I've pulled the trigger on the AP + Tune combo. Literally was going to flash APR on memorial weekend but then I stumbled upon this thread and figured it sounded like everything I wanted from a tune.

I'm beyond excited at this point, I had placed the order early yesterday morning hoping to get it before the weekend. Alas, it hasn't shipped yet and now I'm a sad camper. But I guess it gives me time to sulk. Took me awhile before pulling the trigger but I wanted to gather the basic recommended mods:

TBE
Intake
GFB DV+
Lighter wheels + Summer tires

Guess I'll use this time to find an R or S3 intercooler to round off the build. Anyway, I look forward to working with Alex and his team and I'll be sure to stop by after they do their magic.

Thank you your order! Can't wait to hear what you think of the tune and AP once you have it installed!

Didn't know there was such a thing a Stratified Stage 2 tune. What is that? Stratified as far as I know do custom tunes only, not off the shelf. Has that changed?

Also, if anyone is feeling a decrease in power from APR to Stratified, it's the first I've heard of. If it doesn't give you more power, it gives just as much and smoother. Unless something is wrong with the car?

The flash tunes are tunes that are customized for your parts installed. They are specifically adjusted for your exact modifications and fuel you are using - not a generic stg1, 2, etc. and this is why we don't refer to them this way.

I don't feel like I have as much power as I used to, at least in third. I still need to do my MAF calibration and tune refinement though. Hopefully I can find time to log this weekend.

I don't really have the best metrics to go by though. With APR 2.4 I used to see as high as 25 psi requested boost, but I'm not sure I've seen much more than 21 with stratified, so I would assume that means I'm losing some amount of power. I'm also not breaking traction as much as I used to in third gear, but that's not to say she's not pulling strong because I've had to fight the steering wheel to stay straight. It's gotten hotter so maybe that's had something to do with it, along with how much smoother stratified delivers power it just might be more difficult to break the tires loose in third.

The K03 is a tiny turbo. With a very soft wastegate spring. This means that it really can't sustain anything more than 21-22psi and that is for a split second. Now, the OEM MAP sensor is a 2.5 bar absolute (actually reads 2.55bar). That means it can ONLY read up to 22psi of boost and it can only target that amount as well on the OEM MAP sensor.

However internally in the ECU the targets and measurements are done in metric units. This 22psi translates to 2.55bar absolute bar and 2550 absolute hpa. This is what you will see as targets in other logging software or even the AP when logging metric values.

If I got a catted downpipes and still had a CEL would the flash tune stop it from appearing?

Yes

This is an internally calculated value by the ECU. It is not actual torque or hp. To get a more accurate reading on torque and hp use Vdyno (article here) which uses the car weight and aerodynamics along with the RPM trace from the AP logs

myslowgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you your order! Can't wait to hear what you think of the tune and AP once you have it installed!

The flash tunes are tunes that are customized for your parts installed. They are specifically adjusted for your exact modifications and fuel you are using - not a generic stg1, 2, etc. and this is why we don't refer to them this way.

The K03 is a tiny turbo. With a very soft wastegate spring. This means that it really can't sustain anything more than 21-22psi and that is for a split second. Now, the OEM MAP sensor is a 2.5 bar absolute (actually reads 2.55bar). That means it can ONLY read up to 22psi of boost and it can only target that amount as well on the OEM MAP sensor.

However internally in the ECU the targets and measurements are done in metric units. This 22psi translates to 2.55bar absolute bar and 2550 absolute hpa. This is what you will see as targets in other logging software or even the AP when logging metric values.

Yes

This is an internally calculated value by the ECU. It is not actual torque or hp. To get a more accurate reading on torque and hp use Vdyno (article here) which uses the car weight and aerodynamics along with the RPM trace from the AP logs

Thanks!! I will check it out

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!

Wait a second here, so if OEM MAP sensor can't read beyond 22 psi and the wastegate spring can only handle 21-22 psi for a split second, how do we have these APR fan boys talking about hitting 24 psi on stock turbo?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Wait a second here, so if OEM MAP sensor can't read beyond 22 psi and the wastegate spring can only handle 21-22 psi for a split second, how do we have these APR fan boys talking about hitting 24 psi on stock turbo?

You're calling me an apr fanboy because I claimed 24+ psi? I feel like you must be since I've been the one talking about it. I am not posting about it to be bragging about it and making shit up, so I'm not sure what your deal is. Fuck APR, I don't like them at all. When I had apr I've seen 25.6 psi on my p3cars guage though.