GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. SVS

40k Service - Outright Extortion!!!

Hi all - I just got my car serviced for the 4 Year/60k (kms) interval, its a 2011 GTI DSG. I'm based in Abu Dhabi in the UAE. The bloody service cost me approx. $1,000!!! :mad::mad::mad: I'd posed queries here a couple months back about the approximate cost in the US, which is where I was...
  2. SVS

Advice needed - Dunlop Tires...

Hi! I need to change the tires on my 2011 GTI, they've done 35k kms, the tread is still good but they have got fine cracks and also ride harder, presumably due to the age. The original tires were Dunlop SP Sport 01. One of the more reliable dealers here in has suggested the Dunlop SP Sport LM...
  3. SVS

40k (miles) Service - advice needed...

Hi! I'm in Abu Dhabi, and my GTI is now due for its 40k-miles/60k-kms, or 4 years service; as per the recommended service schedule. It has actually done just 35k kms. Can you advise on what are the essential service items? The local dealer is giving a quote of about USD 900!! The Dubai dealer...
  4. SVS

Tire age and road noise...

Hi - my GTI tires are now about 3.5 years old, but still pretty low on mileage, approximately 20k miles. It seems to me that of late the tires are producing more road noise, is this typically due to age and hardening of the rubber, or just the wear, or a combination of both? The reasons may be...
  5. SVS

Sluggish standing start & gear changes...

Hi - my GTI is about three years old now, and of late I'd noticed that while starting from a standstill the car would jerk a bit and feel a little sluggish. Even the subsequent gear changes by the DSG box would not feel smooth, there was a slight but perceptable jerk. I took it to the dealer...
  6. SVS

Help - Samsung BT connection...

Hi - have tried searching for this but did not find anything. I have a 2011 GTI, and previously had a fairly basic Nokia flip-phone (I know I'm prehistoric in this matter) which worked great with the car's BT. I recently changed it to a Samsung Android phone, and while I was able to sync/match...
  7. SVS

Cost of 2nd Service?

Hi all - just gave my 2011 GTI for its second service, completing two years of driving, about 19,000kms (12,000 miles). Over here in the UAE, the dealer only offered the first service free, and for the second one they've quoted approx. $400. Anyone else have any experience and/or ideas for what...
  8. SVS

Lights auto function & door creaks...

Hi - I have a Euro spec 2011 GTI, and of late have noticed an issue with the auto function on the light switch. When I leave for work in the morning, and am driving in bright sunlight, the back lighting for the various dash switches is still on. Anyone experience problems with theirs, any easy...
  9. SVS

Tire pressure - gradual decline...

Hi - I've had my car for a bit more than a year, and have had to fill air in all four tires two times. Each time the pressures have gradually declined till it was noticeable, over a period of 3-4 months. I've been filling them up to 38psi as recommeded by on the fuel tank lid. Last time around...
  10. SVS

R&T Test data: breaking distance???

Hi, I just picked up the September issue of Road & Track, and the back section of the magazine has as summary of the performance data for all the cars that they have tested. I was very surprised to learn that the breaking distance from 60mph for the current GTI (tested Aug. 2010) was 143 feet...
  11. SVS

Ticking/flapping noise in rear...

Hello! I was out of town for a while and ever since I got back, my car has a clearly audible ticking/flapping noise coming from the rear. The noise is matched to the speed, i.e. it gets faster/slower depending on the car's speed. I got it checked out by a mechanic, who put it up on a lift and...
  12. SVS

GTI Horn replacement

Hi - I've done a search on this and could not find anything relevant, so will appreciate any help. Has anyone changed the horn on their GTI? I just don't care for the stock horn, and would love to change it. Is this something that can one can do, or is it pretty difficult, best left to a shop...
  13. SVS

GTI as police car!

Don't know if this has been posted before, but are there any known instances of GTI's being used as police cars? Anyway, here in Abu Dhabi the police have a interesting mix of car and SUV. Most cars are Merc E-class, some Caprices, but they even have a Nissan GTR, a Camaro and a GTI. Here are...
  14. SVS

Speedo mismatch - Digital vs. Analog

Hello! I've noticed a strange detail during highway driving - there is very obvious mismatch between the speed indicated by the digital display on the MFD and the analog speedometer! The difference is about 5kmph, with the digital readout being higher. This also happens when using cruise...
  15. SVS

Second Impressions...

So, I've had my 2011 GTI just shy of a month, and last evening while parking I scraped the lower end of the front bumper/spoiler against the kerb. Its not easily visible, but I'm pissed with myself regardless!!! Anway, just wanted to share some more points that I've noticed, in conjunction with...
  16. SVS

First impressions, some thoughts & questions...

Its been about ten days since I got my silver 2011 GTI-DSG. I believe what we get here is the Euro spec. version, I've got everything except leather, nav and DynAudio. While I did want these, I would have had to wait on these and miss out on the discount being offered by the dealer on current...